Agenda and decisions

Venue: Room 116, West Midlands Combined Authority, 16 Summer Lane, Birmingham, B19 3SD

Contact: Lyndsey Roberts, Governance Services Officer 

No. Item


Apologies for Absence

Presented By: Chair


Apologies for absence were received from Councillors Sucha Baines, Keith Chambers, Steve Clark and John Fisher.


Declarations of Interest

Presented By: Chair


No declarations of interest were made in relation to matters under consideration at the meeting.


Chair's Remarks

Presented By: Chair




Minutes of the meeting held on 17 November 2017 pdf icon PDF 219 KB

Presented By: Chair




Matters Arising

(a)  Health & Safety Reporting

(b)  Whistleblowing

(c)  Wolverhampton Interchange Overspend – Lessons Learned

Presented By: Tim Martin Tim Martin Tim Martin


(1)  The Governance Services Officer agreed to produce an action plan to enable members to track and monitor outstanding items of business.


(2)  The Chair asked that officers ensured in future that the action points from previous meetings were responded to in the agenda or under matters arising.


(3)  The Head of Governance agreed to present a governance map to enable members to identify the relationship and liaison with other Authority committees to the next meeting.


(4)  The Head of Governance agreed to circulate an organisational chart and brief summary for each Leadership Team post holder to members of the committee for information.


(5)  The Interim Head of Organisational Development was to present a written report on the capability and vacancy risks in respect of aspiration versus capability at the next meeting of the committee.  The Chair had agreed to delay this by one meeting because of an unexpected leave of absence.


(6)  The committee was to receive an update from the Head of Governance about how the West Midlands Fire Authority engaged with fire authorities in Non-Constituent areas.


(7)  A lessons learned report on the Wolverhampton Interchange Project would be considered by the WMCA Investment Board in the first instance, and then shared with the WMCA Audit, Risk and Assurance Committee.


Forward Plans pdf icon PDF 53 KB

Presented By: Chair

Additional documents:




External Audit Plan pdf icon PDF 487 KB

Presented By: Grant Patterson


The report was noted.



External Audit Plan - West Midlands Integrated Transport Authority Pension Fund pdf icon PDF 410 KB

Presented By: Grant Patterson


(1)  The report was noted.


(2)  The Finance Director agreed to circulate a funding statement in respect of assets and liabilities to members of the committee for their information.


Internal Audit Update pdf icon PDF 196 KB

Presented By: Peter Farrow


(1) The contents of the latest Internal Audit report was noted.


(2)A detailed report of the audits was to be presented to the next meeting together with a proposed audit plan for 2018/19.  There was an expectation that the proposed audit plan for the following year would be presented at future January meetings.


(3)The Chair was expected to be briefed and consulted on the Internal Audit priorities before these were presented to ARAC and agreed within the CA.


Strategic Risk Register pdf icon PDF 89 KB

Presented By: Loraine Quibell

Additional documents:


The contents of the Strategic Risk Register was noted.  Officers were asked to now propose changes to the ARAC forward plan based on this Strategic Risk Register.


WMCA Arm's Length Companies Checklist - Jan 2018 pdf icon PDF 163 KB

Presented By: Joti Sharma


The checklist that was to be used to seek confidence in assurance arrangements for arm's length companies related to the West Midlands Combined Authority was agreed at the meeting, subject to regular review, it being used in the setting up of the arm’s length body and annual, signed submission with the AGS from the arm’s length body.


Delivery of Devolution 1 & Devolution 2 Update

Presented By: Tim Martin


The verbal report was noted.


Exclusion of the Public and Press

That in accordance with Section 100A(4) of the Local Government Act 1972 the press and public be excluded from the meeting for the following item of business as it involves information relating to an action taken or to be taken in connection with the prevention, investigation or prosecution of crime.




Cyber Security Presentation

Presented By: Paul Beckley


(1)  The Cyber Security Specialist agreed to provide a written update on the recent penetration testing exercise undertaken on WMCA systems.


(2)  The Head of ICT agreed to provide an update in respect of the completion dates identified within the report which seemed too long in to the future to be giving confidence that the risk was a priority.


(3)  Cyber security would continue to be a priority area of ARAC interest and an update paper in May would be expected.


Friday 16 March at 10:00am


The date and time of the next meeting was noted.