Decision Maker: WMCA Board
Decision status: For Determination
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: No
Councillor Syeda Khatun presented a report on the contents of the governance review and scheme, which had been developed to enable the framework for the proposed Mayoral WMCA governance model to be discussed and understood prior to undertaking public consultation. The WMCA Board also considered a report of the Overview & Scrutiny Committee’s Governance Working Group that informed it of its considerations relating to the review of governance arrangements, along with a wish to be involved in developing the final governance model. Councillor Peter Hughes, Chair of the Overview & Scrutiny Committee, provided further details of the work the committee had undertaken to look at the governance proposals that were to be subject to public consultation.
On 8 September, the WMCA Board approved a report for the development of a governance review and scheme document, as part of the proposed future Mayoral WMCA governance for the West Midlands Fire & Rescue Service. The governance review looked at existing governance arrangements and functions, as well as the benefits of the proposed new structure in respect of public safety, collaboration between public services, scrutiny and transparency, accountability, savings and value for money.
The Mayor confirmed that the governance review referenced within the report related to the West Midlands Fire & Rescue Authority only. Councillor John Edwards, Chair of the Fire & Rescue Authority, undertook to work closely with the Overview & Scrutiny Committee to see how best to implement a scrutiny function that provided appropriate oversight and challenge to the new governance arrangements.
(1) The contents of the Governance Review and Scheme outlining the proposed governance model for Mayoral West Midlands Combined Authority governance of West Midlands Fire Service be approved.
(2) The amendments to the process timeline presented to the WMCA Board meeting on 8 September 2017 be noted.
(3) The points raised at constituent council meetings in consideration of the prepared Governance review and Scheme be noted.
(4) The amendments to the Governance review and Scheme based on the outcomes of resolution (3) above be approved.
(5) The proposed approach for the formal public consultation to commence in January 2018 be approved.
(6) It be agreed that the governance review would be undertaken collaboratively with the Overview & Scrutiny Committee so as to ensure that the views of that committee were considered as part of the development of the final governance model for the West Midlands Fire Service.
Publication date: 08/12/2017
Date of decision: 08/12/2017
Decided at meeting: 08/12/2017 - WMCA Board