Decision Maker: WMCA Board
Decision status: For Determination
Is Key decision?: No
Is subject to call in?: No
(1) The draft 2022/23 WMCA consolidated revenue budget was approved for consultation, including:
(a) The budget requirement for transport delivery in 2022/23 comprising four elements:
(i) £117.0m to be funded from the existing transport levy mechanism;
(ii) £18.7m to be funded from grant awarded by the Commonwealth Games Organising Committee;
(iii) Use of £4.5m Business Rates retention income;
(iv) Transfer from earmarked reserves of £3.6m.
(b) The budget requirement for non-transport delivery in 2022/23 of £161.9m comprising of five elements:
(i) £142.7m adult education spending to be funded from Adult Education Budget funding devolved by the Department for Education;
(ii) £6.7m to be funded from devolution deal grants;
(iii) £1.2m to be funded from other income, notably investments;
(iv) £4.6m to be funded from constituent authority fees (fees to remain at the same level as 2021/22);
(v) £0.5m to be funded from non-constituent authority and observer fees (which represents an increase of £5,000 a year per non-constituent authority from 1 April 2022);
(vi) Use of £6.0m business rates retention income.
(2) The Mayoral Office budget for 2022/23 of £0.8m, to be funded from additional Mayoral Capacity Funding, was approved for consultation and scrutiny.
(3) The draft 2022/23 Capital Programme of £536m was approved for consultation.
(4) The planned spend on the Investment Programme over the period was noted.
(5) It was noted that there would be no Mayoral precept during 2022/23.
(6) The WMCA’s commitment to work with the Mayor and Leaders to develop a long-term, sustainable budget and plan throughout 2022, building on the 2022/23 agreed Aims & Objectives and a sustainable financial plan was noted.
(7) The matters identified by Overview & Scrutiny Committee that arose out of the Mayoral Q&A on 15 December 2021were noted.
Publication date: 20/01/2022
Date of decision: 14/01/2022
Decided at meeting: 14/01/2022 - WMCA Board